[sat] [gx at jupitter-larsen.com: Re: [mon] Mail von Reni Hofmüller]

Reni Hofmüller reni at mur.at
Wed Dec 15 09:19:26 CET 2010

hi, leute!

hier der vorschlag von gx, den ich gern weiterleite, und den ich auch
supergern einbinden würde.

ich schreib ihm mal, dass heuer keine großen entscheidungen mehr
fallen werden.

lg
reni

----- Forwarded message from GX Jupitter-Larsen <gx at jupitter-larsen.com> -----

From: GX Jupitter-Larsen <gx at jupitter-larsen.com>
To: Reni Hofmüller <reni at mur.at>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 07:31:05 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [mon] Mail von Reni Hofmüller

Dear Reni;

How wonderful that you & Jogi are part of such a grand project. I saw mursat mentioned in a Kunstradio emailing. So I looked it up online.

Needless to say, I would be deeply honored to even have a small part in this project, either directly or indirectly.

The issue that excites my mind is the idea of the satellite itself as a performance platform; or even the idea that the satellite itself could be a performer. In an age when state agencies are sending robotic explorers into space, it is only natural that we, in turn, send robotic artists. Performance art in space...!!!

On Oct 26 1992 while travelling from Venice to Paris, I did a performance piece in which I continuously wandered up & down the span of the passenger-train, counting the number of steps taken. I counted 184,000. Counting is a major recurring theme in my work. I would love to continue this counting motif on mursat. In a kind of continuation of my Venice to Paris train performance, I would like the satellite to count 184,000 "steps" while in orbit.

I would prefer this counting be done without any additional payload added to the satellite. I would rather like to make use of whatever action the satellite normally does on its own, left alone, while travelling. Even if this activity is an unintentional or accidental byproduct, such as a hum cycle from the electronics or hardware. Anything repetitive by the satellite could be used as markers for counting. The idea being that a portion of this inadvertent activity could be acknowledged as a performance, and sanctioned by mur.at/ESC. Why the counting was done would be the determining magnitude, not how the counting got done - context over gear.

I hope these ideas might be interesting for you. I look forward to hearing back from you. Jessica & I hope to return to Europe sometime in the new year. When this happens I would very much like to meet with you.

I hope the very best of luck for you all in this project!

ALL THE BEST

GX