[Sumpfhahn] TOMORROW 25/5 at the NICE & FIT SHOWROOM - Hannes Schmidt & Etienne Chambaud, Perhaps___

sumpfhahn at mur.at sumpfhahn at mur.at
Do Mai 24 12:17:53 CEST 2007

Dateiname   : nicht verfügbar
Dateityp    : text/enriched
Dateigröße  : 2 bytes
Beschreibung: nicht verfügbar
URL         : http://lists.mur.at/pipermail/sumpfhahn/attachments/20070524/673a2bf5/attachment-0004.bin
Dateiname   : unknown.jpg
Dateityp    : image/jpeg
Dateigröße  : 34854 bytes
Beschreibung: nicht verfügbar
URL         : http://lists.mur.at/pipermail/sumpfhahn/attachments/20070524/673a2bf5/attachment.jpg

Perhaps?
A Loose Dialogue on the Possibility of The Blind Man #3 & other
propositions

Etienne Chambaud & Hannes Schmidt

May 25-June 23, 2007
Opening: Friday, May 25 at 7pm

NICE & FIT SHOWROOM
Brunnenstrasse 13
10119 Berlin
+4930 440 459 76
niceandfitgallery.com

hours: Tuesday thru Saturday, 12-6pm
and by appointment

"? [...]  So for a short historical introduction, we should maybe talk
about the original magazine The Blind Man, back in 1917.

? Sure, Go ahead.

? So, in the spring of 1917, in April and May to be precise, in New
York, a group of people released two issues of a new magazine called
The Blind Man. The first issue was subtitled Independents? Number and
the second one P.B.T. The initials P.B.T. stand for Pierre
(Henri-Pierre Roché), Beatrice (Wood) and ?Totor? (from Victor),
Roché?s nickname for Marcel Duchamp. They were the three associated
publishers of the magazine. The first issue started?after few gallery
advertisements! ?with the sentence : « The Blind Man celebrates to-day
[sic] the birth of Independence of Art in America ». "

[...]

"? What do you mean by "building misunderstandings"?

?   Ok, let's take a little step backwards! I will explain a bit the
origin of the idea. [Laughs] I guess we're switching now to some kind
of an acted dialogue. Hmm? [Laughs]

When I was first thinking of this kind of a project, I had the idea of
an entire series of next issues of "dead" magazines. I wanted to put
together some people, basically some friends, to work on the repetition
of the last issue of different magazines, on second ends.

? Like an alternative ending for a movie?

? Pretty much."

[...]

"? Yeah, for sure, but you can say that for?

? ?About basically any?

? ?Any thing.

? Or almost!

? This problem of perception in time traveling is really somehow a way
for me to understand the figure of the blind man as the figure of the
time traveler and the one of the blind man are probably reversed
figures, each one being the negative of the other. The time traveler
cannot be seen but probably can see. It makes him an anti-blind man.

? Hmm, an anti-blind man!?  He can see but he can't be seen, that's
what you?re saying?

? Yes, like when you're a kid and you play this game...where you hide
from your friends. How do you call it in English?

? Hide-and-seek.

? ? And you always have one friend, maybe when you?re five years old or
something, who thinks that if he closes his eyes you won?t see him
anymore?because?

? ?He thinks he becomes invisible."

[...]

Etienne Chambaud and Hannes Schmidt met a few months ago in Paris. They
started talking about putting together the third issue of The Blind
Man, a magazine launched by Henri-Pierre Roché, Beatrice Wood and
Marcel Duchamp that folded in 1917, after just two editions.

Their conversation culminated in "Loose Dialogue Piece", a
collaborative project that addresses the repetition of an ?end?, then
switches to general questions of consciousness, blindness,
phenomenological understandings of time traveling, etc.

In addition, new works by the artists will be presented as part
of Perhaps___.
Etienne Chambaud (*1980, Mulhouse, France) lives and works in Paris.
Recent exhibitions include: ?Le Présent?, Cortex Athletico, Bordeaux
and ?Transmissions?, Villa Arson, Nice. This is his first exhibition in
Berlin. Hannes Schmidt (*1974, Freiburg, Germany) lives and works in
Berlin. He is represented by Nice & Fit, Berlin. Recent exhibitions
include: ?Hannes Schmidt at Eva?s Arche?, GBE, New York, ?Dicht im
Frontalunterricht?, Nice & Fit, Berlin and ?Panic Room: Recent
Acquisitions from the Dakis Joannou Collection?, DESTE, Athens.

For additional information and visuals please contact Helena
Papadopoulos or Natasha Isaacs at 030 440 45976 or
mail at niceandfitgallery.com