[sixpackfilm] festivalnews: Cannes Directors' fortnight -- Oberhausen Short Film Festival -- Stuttgart Festival for Animated Film -- DOK.fest Munich

international at lists.sixpackfilm.com international at lists.sixpackfilm.com
Sun May 1 20:55:54 CEST 2022

It is with great pleasure to announce some highlights from sixpackfilm's international festival distribution of the coming weeks.

1
Cannes - 54. Quinzaine des réalisateurs / Directors' fortnight
May 18 – 27, 2022  | –> <http://www.quinzaine-realisateurs.com/>

The biggest sensation first: with Jan Soldat's furious found footage homage to the German actor Udo Kier, once again a short film from the sixpack-repertoire was invited to the Quinzaine des réalisateurs in Cannes.

Staging Death
by Jan Soldat
AT/DE 2022, 8 min

Udo Kier dies his way through film history. He screams, falls, lies, is chopped up, shot or takes his own life. Again and again his empty gaze, again and again his rigid body. In 54 years of acting career Udo Kier played in more than 170 feature films, 120 series episodes and 50 short films. More than 70 times Udo Kier tried to give an expression to dying and death. In Staging Death these representations of death merge into a montage of the most diverse shot sizes, film formats, special effects and sound designs. European auteur cinema, Hollywood blockbuster, independent trash, art installation, television film, commercial, music video and children's series: in Udo Kier's oeuvre, everything becomes one. In this sense, Staging Death also moves between document, essay, found footage, supercut and Youtube clip. (Jan Soldat)
–> <https://www.sixpackfilm.com/en/catalogue/2784/>

25.05 || 2:15 pm || Théâtre Croissette (french subt)
26.05 || 12 am || Cinéma Olympia 8 (en subt)
26.05 || 7 pm || Cinéma Alexandre III (fr subt)

2
68. Oberhausen International Shortfilm Festival / Kurzfilmtage
online: April 30 – May 9, 2022
onsite: May 4 – 9, 2022  |  <https://www.kurzfilmtage.de/en/festival/programme/#t541>–> <ttps://www.kurzfilmtage.de/en/>

Two films  celebrating their international premieres within the international competition, a distributors program and a couple of films in Mika Taanila's Conditional Cinema-series. We are happy again about the great presence at one of the most important festivals of artistic short film.

International Competition

SEKUNDENARBEITEN
by Christiana Perschon
AT 2021, 14 min
International Competition 2
05.05 || 8 pm

Movement is the moment of my encounter with visual artist Lieselott Beschorner, born in 1927. Her „Impulszeichnungen“ are created during the running time of my camera, before the mechanism is wound up again for the next drawing. With a piece of charcoal, cartridge paper, a Bolex camera and 16mm film, we share the surface of an image with different image carriers for a moment - the duration of a gesture. (Christiana Perschon)
–> <https://www.sixpackfilm.com/en/catalogue/2699/>

Saving Some Random Insignificant Stories
by Anna Vasof
AT/GR 2022, 14 min
International Competition 6
07.05 || 8 pm

“Saving Some Random Insignificant Stories” is a goodbye film to my parents’ house. One night in December 2021, after an  unusually extreme weather event, my parents’ house flooded, and they had to be rescued by a boat. They lost almost everything that night, including their dog and their cat. Two days after the flood, when the water level went down and I could finally enter the house, I tried to extract as many objects as possible, and for the rest, I made this film. (Anna Vasof)
–> <https://www.sixpackfilm.com/en/catalogue/2783/>

Distributor’s screening sixpackfilm
08.05 || 9:45

It is exactly enough time (Virgil Widrich, Oskar Salomonowitz, 2021, 2 min)
Warten (Bernd Oppl, 2021, 8 min)
Amazon Woman (Anna Vasof, 2021, 4 min)
She wants him to go, she wants him to stay (Viki Kühn, 2021, 13 min)
Singing in Oblivion (Eve Heller, 13 min)
The Gallery (Cordula Rieger, 8 min)
KatharinaViktoria ((Viktoria Schmid, 2011, 1 min)
KatharinaViktoria 2(021) (Viktoria Schmid, 2022, 1 min)
Train Again (Peter Tscherkassky, 2021, 20 min)

Conditional Cinema
program 1
05.05 || 9:45 pm

A proposal to project in 4:3 (Viktoria Schmid, 2016, 16mm, 1 min)
A proposal to project in Scope (Viktoria Schmid, 2020, 35mm,  8 min)
Nothing (Ernst Schmidt jr, 1968)

program 2
06.05 || 5 pm

Wind (Martin Putz, 2021, 30 min)

—> sixpackfilm web-catalogue <https://www.sixpackfilm.com/en/catalogue/>

3
29. Internationales Trickfilmfestival / Festival of Animated Film Stuttgart
May 3 – 8, 2022 | –> <https://www.itfs.de/en/programme/>

The prestigious animation festival dedicates its country focus this year to Austria's animation filmmaking. In addition to a personal portrait of Thomas Renoldner (whose films can soon be found in sixpackfilm's distribution), Gerald Weber of sixpackfilm has been invited to put together two programs along the borders between animated and experimental film from the distribution's catalogue including several classics from Austrian Avant-Garde cinema.

The programs-notes and the schedule can be found here <https://www.itfs.de/en/programme/>:

sixpackfilm - Programm 1

ADEBAR (Peter Kubelka, 1957, 35mm, 1 min)
Schwechater (Peter Kubelka, 1958, 35mm, 1 min)
Die Geburt der Venus (Moucle Blackout, 1972, 35mm, 5 min)
11 Points (Dietmar Brehm, 2020, digi 13 min)
Traxdata (Norbert Pfaffenbichler/Jürgen Moritz, 1998, digi 4 min)
Random (Marc Adrian, 1963, digi from 16mm 5 min)
36 (Norbert Pfaffenbichler/Lotte Schreiber, 2001, digi, 2 min)
3/60 Bäume im Herbst (Kurt Kren, 1960, digi from 16mm, 5 min)
37/78 Tree Again (Kurt Kren, 1978, digi from 16mm, 3 min, sil)
There is, indeed, the unspeakable (Marzieh Emadi/Sina Saadat, 2020, digi, 4 min)
FUDDY DUDDY (Siegfried Fruhauf, 2016, digi,6 min)
ORDER-RE-ORDER (Barbara Doser, 2006, digi, 4 mi)
aussicht von einem treibenden flos (Karø Goldt, 2005, digi, 9 min)
Ikonostasis II (Thomas Steiner, 1993, digi from 16mm, 4 min)
Selfportrait (Maria Lassnig, 1971, digi from 16mm, 5 min)
Museum Guard (Alexander Gratzer, 2017, digi, 3 min)

sixpackfilm - Programm 2

Die normale Show – Episode 8 (Stefanie Sargnagel, 2020, digi, 2 min)
passage a l’acte (Martin Arnold, 1992, digi from 16mm, , 12 min
Mécanomagie (Bady Minck, 1996, 35mm, 15 min)
When time moves faster (Anna Vasof, 2016, digi, 7 min)
O (Paul Wenninger, 2021, digi 5 min)
2/60 48 Köpfe aus dem Szondi Test (Kurt Kren, 1960, digi from 16mm,  4 min, sil)
NabelFabel (Mara Mattuschka, 1984, digi from 16mm,  4 min)
SELF (Claudia Larcher 2015, digi, 4 min)
Super8-Girl Games (Ashley Scheirl/ Ursula Pürrer, 1985, digi from 16mm, 2 min)
Chairs (Maria Lassnig, 1971, digi from 16mm, 2 min)
Fast Film (Virgil Widrich, 2003, 35mm 14 min)
Die normale Show – Episode 7 (Stefanie Sargnagel, 2020, file 2:30 min)

Personale Thomas Renoldner

—> sixpackfilm web-catalogue <https://www.sixpackfilm.com/en/catalogue/>

4
37. DOK.fest Munich / München
May 5 – 14, 2022 | –> <https://www.dokfest-muenchen.de/?lang=en>

Fridolin Schönwiese's highly-empathetic and intense portrait film IT WORKS II celebrates its International Premiere at DOK.fest Munich. 20 years after his short film, Schönwiese meets his protagonists Michael, Gerald and Valentin again. While they were still children back then, they are now in the midst of life in a world where autonomy cannot be taken for granted.

IT WORKS II
by Fridolin Schönwiese
AT 2022, 103 min

“IT WORKS documents the will to create and accomplish something” – Fridolin Schönwiese’s description of the short film from the 1990s could also stand as the motto of his current labor of love, IT WORKS II. When Michael fights his way to the finish line on his bike, accompanied by applause in the RaceRunning competition at the Paralympics in Denmark, my empathy is entirely with him. This succeeds because the filmmaker unreservedly takes Michael’s side. The camera’s gaze is concentrated and attentive, allowing me to participate in the world of Gerald, Valentin, and Michael. In the process, cinematic images of great intensity emerge, creating absolute closeness to the protagonists while at the same time maintaining an appropriate distance. The film takes its time to watch and listen and gives me cinematic time with three protagonists whose fine humor shows how things can succeed in life. (Gabriele Mathes)
–> <https://www.sixpackfilm.com/en/catalogue/2762/>

05.05 || 9 pm || Rio 2
12.05 || 9 pm || Atelier
14.05 ||8.30 pm || Neues Rottmann