[sixpackfilm] sixpackfilm @ Karlovy Vary 2018

international at lists.sixpackfilm.com international at lists.sixpackfilm.com
Tue Jun 26 09:42:19 CEST 2018

We are very proud and more than happy to announce this year again the selection of several "sixpack-films" for the upcoming

53rd Karlovy Vary International Film Festival
29.6. - 7.7.2018

-> Festival site <http://www.kviff.com/en/homepage>

IMAGINA section

Johann Lurf
★
AT 2017, 99 min

Since the dawn of humankind we have been fascinated by the nighttime sky shining with stars. Beyond our view of these luminous points, the deep and endless universe spreads out, its faraway galaxies and nebulae invisible to the naked eye, leaving us to ponder them with mere speculation or in dreams. Our conception of the stars and the cosmos has been formed by others’ imaginations: scientists, science popularizers, and artists. Inevitably, our own ideas, fears, aspirations, and even our changing modes of depicting and thinking about them are detectable in these imaginings. Johann Lurf compiled his film solely from images of the universe drawn from a total of 550 films across motion picture history. The result is a compelling poetic essay that is as much about the way we represent outer space as it is about the cosmos itself.
(Hubert Poul / KVIFF)

 ★ [more] <http://www.sixpackfilm.com/en/catalogue/show/2424>

30.6.2018 || 11:30 || Cinema B
3.7.2018 || 9:30 || Small Hall
6.7.2018 || 20:00 || Cinema B

IMAGINA – Short Films
30.6.2018 || 9:00 ||Cinema B
5.7.2018 || 16:30 ||Husovka Theatre
6.7.2018 || 18:30 || Čas Cinema

Herwig Weiser
Haus der Regierung / Gouvernment House
AT 2018, 11 min

An abandoned upscale constructivist building in the middle of Moscow. It once served functionaries of the Communist Party and thus can recall the Stalinist purges of the 1930s. Darkened rooms, stairways, and corridors. Exploring the building from the ground floor to the roof proves also to be an investigation of an architecture inseparable from its history. As in a horror movie, the empty spaces come alive with uncanny spectral figures that are caught in a web of time. (Hubert Poul / KVIFF)

 Gouvernment House [more] <http://www.sixpackfilm.com/en/catalogue/show/2440>

—

Siegfried Fruhauf
PHANTOM RIDE PHANTOM
AT 2017, 10 min

In the early days of motion pictures, so-called phantom rides were short films that were shot from a moving train, allowing speed and the passing landscape to create excitement. Austrian film structuralist Siegfried A. Fruhauf takes inspiration from elements of these films and transforms them into a typically original phantasmal trip, in which he tackles symmetry and perspective, and sets in motion an eternal conflict between industrial technology and elusive nature. (Hubert Poul / KVIFF)

 PHANTOM RIDE PHANTOM [more] <http://www.sixpackfilm.com/en/catalogue/show/2430>

—

Lukas Marxt
Imperial Valley (cultivated run-off)
AT/DE 2018, 14 min

The Imperial Valley stretches to the southern border of California. Although part of the Sonoran Desert, the efforts of the agricultural industry completely transformed the landscape into an oasis of verdure whose existence is subject to the demands of human engineering. Giving rise to a series of almost abstract shots, Lukas Marxt uses drones to achieve a bird’s-eye view contemplation of the relationship between the landscape and civilization. (Hubert Poul / KVIFF)

 Imperial Valley [more] <http://www.sixpackfilm.com/en/catalogue/show/2438>

—

more on the IMAGINA-section <http://www.kviff.com/en/programme/catalog-of-films/sekce/668-imagina> @ KVIFF 2018

Brigitta Burger-Utzer/sixpackfilm will join the Karlovy Vary Fim Festival between july 1- 5.
for meetings please contact: brigitta at sixpackfilm.com <mailto:brigitta at sixpackfilm.com>

—
www.sixpackfilm.com <http://www.sixpackfilm.com/en/>

   <https://www.facebook.com/sixpackfilm>