[Grml] grub2 loopback feature

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Fri Jun 25 14:16:02 CEST 2010

* Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth <leo at strike.wu.ac.at> [Thu Jun 17, 2010 at 09:46:28PM +0200]:

> > Is there a way to make grub jump to the existing /boot/grub/grub.cfg in
> > the ISO and show its contents as a submenu?

> I am trying to branch to grmls own grub configuration:
> -------------------- 8< --------------------
>   loopback loop $iso_path
>   set root=(loop)
>   configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> -------------------- 8< --------------------

> ... which seems to fail because of a bug in grub. (set root=(loop) fails)
> See http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?30143 for the bug report.

> As a workaround, I suggested to prepend a variable like ${loop} to all
> paths in grmls grub.conf, which could be set to loop="(loop)" by the
> calling grub.cfg on the usb drive. Besides a variable like ${kernelopts}
> at the end of each kernel commandline would allow passing custom boot
> options from the calling grub.cfg.

Jordan Uggla pointed out on #grml that it's working for him with
grub 1.98 compiled from source.

Instead of working around I'd prefer to see this bug fixed in Grub.
I've just updated templates/boot/grub/ to the most recent Grub2
version from Debian/unstable and also added support for
"${kernelopts}" (what a lovely idea! :)):

  http://git.grml.org/?p=grml-live.git;a=commit;h=07ca6d5

The daily ISOs (http://daily.grml.org/) by tomorrow (2010-06-26)
will include this update. Would be great to get know whether this
fixes your issue.

regards,
-mika-
--