[Grml] Having a way to set default X session manager

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Aug 5 13:37:07 CEST 2009

* Michael Prokop <mika at grml.org> [20090803 01:38]:
> * Michael Whapples <mwhapples at aim.com> [20090803 01:30]:

> > Currently when GRML is installed to HD it creates the user home
> > directory with a .xinitrc file with a window manager (looking closer at
> > alternatives it seems this really should be called x session manager).
> > This makes it impossible for a system wide default window manager to be
> > set. I remember that slackware offered a feature where a default system
> > window manager could be set and such a feature would be useful in GRML.
> > Obviously should a user want to use something other than the default
> > then they can do so by running grml-x or manually create the ~/.xinitrc
> > file.

> > Would it be possible to add such a feature?

> How about running:

>   update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

> and using x-window-manager as window manager in ~/.xinitrc then?

JFTR: Michael mailed me off-the-list and I implemented the according
parts so x-window-manager is our default setting in ~/.xinitrc now.
See http://bts.grml.org/grml/issue716 for details (bug will be
closed by upload of a new grml-live version which implements the
update-alternatives handling for x-window-manager).

regards,
-mika-