[Grml] apt behavior..

Ishwar Rattan ishwar at pali.cps.cmich.edu
Wed Nov 30 15:51:28 CET 2005

I have hd-install of grml-0.5 at home that connects to school
over a dial-up. It takes too long to do apt-get update
every time time I have to search/install a package. I trimmed
down my /etc/apt/sources.list to one repository:

# Unstable
deb     ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian  unstable  main contrib non-free

When I try to search or install without doing an 'apt-get update' first
it complains with the following messages:

W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/contrib Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_contrib_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/non-free Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_non-free_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)

Why would it complain about source package lists when thay are not specified in sources.list?
I was under the impression that apt is supposed to remember the result of last update
operation..

Any ideas?

-ishwar