[Grml] Re: USB boot success: grml-big-0.5 + grml2hd-0.5.5

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sun Nov 27 01:29:42 CET 2005

* Mark <or2uvma02 at sneakemail.com> [20051127 01:15]:

> > only chance to restore the original state is to reboot. :-/

> Of course, but so what:

> After running grml2hd, what do I likely want? Probably to boot the hard
> drive and check it out.  That means, reboot the PC. This is probably 80%
> of cases.  One drive, one install.

> Just to be fair, let's say no, I really want to stay in GRML-CD after
> setting up the hard drive.

> All right, I have just spent 30 minutes doing an install.  Assuming
> there is a magical package missing from CD at the moment, is a 1-minute
> reboot such inconvenience after 30 minutes?

Yes, rebooting might be inconvenient if you run grml2hd in automatic
installation mode. Or if you don't have physical access to the
computer.

> For one package, can't I just apt-install from the net with no
> reboot?  Of course.

Not everyone has network access when running grml2hd.

[...]
> > Modifying the live-iso needs more "power" than accessing
> > files in the chroot installed on harddisk.

> Not in the mass install scenario, which multiplies the pacakage removal
> task by the number of hard drives (whether chroot or straight).  It's
> simpler to do once from CD and then mass install to drives.

> In the single drive case I doubt it's a difference worth argument.  CD
> removal takes slightly longer, but also saves file copy time during
> copy-all to disk.  People can quibble about details.

If you don't want to remove the packages *inside* the chroot but on
the running CD just run 'remove-packages-server' before calling
grml2hd.

> > If you think you don't need the packages "foo, bar, blubs, blah"
> > then just run 'apt-get remove foo bar blubs blah' - but it's on your
> > own risk. Running it in the harddisk system is more safe.

> Yes I thought of that.  Safety issues by themselves argue for changing
> grml2hd scripts.  But it can be done.

The "safety issue" is not a problem of grml2hd or grml. It depends
on the reliability of unionfs and present RAM.

regards,
-mika-
--
You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/