[Grml] Re: USB boot success: grml-big-0.5 + grml2hd-0.5.5

Mark or2uvma02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Nov 23 08:59:41 CET 2005

> You don't have to delete any of the packages. ;-)
> That's not possible, think about the way grml2hd has to run.
> (Copying all files from the[ un]compressed, loopback mounted
> squashfs-file.)

All it would take is a filter to omit specific files.  There are various
ways to do that.  I don't see why it's easier to go back and delete
files.  It's just as much work to avoid copying specific files as it is
to copy-all and then delete them.

> This derives from the debian package, it's not a grml issue.  And
> such questions are important for some people.

People booting the CD are probably not running PostgreSQL databases from
the CD.  I'm not clear why PostgreSQL belongs on a sysadmin CD...but you
must have reasons.

> Do you have an LCD or TFT? Do you have an "auto adjust" button on
> your monitor?

It's a CRT monitor; no auto-adjust.  I leave the monitor settings
exactly as when I use my computer for Windows.  I use CD defaults for
GRML boot.  The grml-CD fonts and video defaults look good.  The USB
hard drive boot has the ugliness.

> Could you provide a screenshot please?

I tried snapping digital photos, but they are bad.  The screen has some
curvature and the lighting is rotten.  I can't freeze the boot process
either.  Sorrry, I tried!  The video card is nVidia GeForce 3.

> The grml-kernel does not fit with all its features on a floppy disk.
> So you have to use such a specialized floppy disk.

I understand the need for specialized floppies, which is why the
installer should make them.

Thank you for your detailed responses.  I appreciate your hard work very
much.  Go GRML!

Mark