[Grml] Post HD-install

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sun Nov 20 00:33:54 CET 2005

* Ishwar Rattan <ishwar at pali.cps.cmich.edu> [20051120 00:15]:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Michael Prokop wrote:
> > * Ishwar Rattan <ishwar at pali.cps.cmich.edu> [20051119 14:50]:

> > > Last night I did a grml2hd install at my home box. It is an
> > > old Dron based PC with ensoniq-1370 sound card.

> > > It comes out that the install different from live-cd.
> > > The usb storage hotplug does not work any more, it
> > > was operational in live-cd usage (the usb stick was
> > > detected at /dev/sda1 and mounted automatically).

> > > So, how do I get the functionality back?

> > What does "usb storage hotplug does not work any more" mean exactly?
> > Mounting of usb-stick does not work anymore? The usb-modules aren't
> > loaded? Which version of grml did you install? Does running 'Restart
> > hotplug-light' as user root solve the problem?

> > JFYI: USB sticks are available through /dev/external1 -> /mnt/external1

> I might have a buggy HD-install. Should I reinstall?

Give me chance to find out what's going wrong. :)

Which grml version are you using? Just run 'grml-version' to find
out.

> I think that usb-modules are not loaded even after starting hotplug-light.
> It comes out that usb-storage module is not loaded at system boot.
> Modprobe usb-storage, followed by hotplug-light start works fine.

Huh. What do you see in the syslog if you plug in the usb stick?
The usb-storage module does not need to be loaded if no usb-storage
device is available.

Take a look at the demonstration. That's before I plugged in the usb
stick:

| root at grml ~ # lsmod | grep usb
| usbhid                 44896  0
| usbcore               105216  4 usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd

Now I plug in the usb stick:

| root at grml ~ # tlog
| [...]
| Nov 20 00:13:21 grml syslog-ng[3664]: STATS: dropped 0
| Nov 20 00:17:02 grml /USR/SBIN/CRON[9683]: (root) CMD (   run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
| Nov 20 00:23:21 grml syslog-ng[3664]: STATS: dropped 0
| Nov 20 00:28:10 grml kernel: usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
| Nov 20 00:28:11 grml kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
| Nov 20 00:28:11 grml kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
| Nov 20 00:28:11 grml kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
| Nov 20 00:28:11 grml kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.
| Nov 20 00:28:11 grml kernel: usb-storage: device found at 2
| Nov 20 00:28:11 grml kernel: usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning

Ok, and now I've:

| root at grml ~ # lsmod | grep usb
| usb_storage            67520  0
| usbhid                 44896  0
| usbcore               105216  5 usb_storage,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
| root at grml ~ #

So just plug in the usb stick and run 'mount /mnt/external1'
afterwards. (If you've a partition on the usb stick, if not then
/mnt/external should fit your needs.)

,---- [ update-rc.d(8) ]
| If defaults is used then update-rc.d adds an entry to start
| the service in runlevels 2,3,4,5 and stop the service in
| runlevels 0,1,6.  By default all the links will have sequence
| code 20, but this can be overridden by supplying one or two
| NN arguments; one argument overrides the  sequence code for
| both start and stop entries whereas of two arguments the
| first overrides the code for start runlevels and the second
| that for stop runlevels.
`----

Also take a look at runlevel.conf(5).

Debian's (and also grml's) default is to use runlevel 2 for booting:

,---- [ default runlevel on Debian and grml ]
| mika at grml ~ % runlevel
| N 2
| mika at grml ~ %