+comunity+ Fwd: TTIP secret courts

Reni Hofmüller reni at mur.at
Fr Jul 4 13:21:13 CEST 2014

zeit, sich zu wehren.
lg
reni

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	TTIP secret courts
Date: 	Fri, 04 Jul 2014 08:30:51 +0000
From: 	Martin Caldwell, SumOfUs.org <us at sumofus.org>
To: 	Reni Hofmueller <reni at mur.at>

SumOfUs

The US is determined to*force Europe to adopt rules that let
corporations sue governments in secret courts, *under the dangerous TTIP
trade deal.

But facing pressure, the EU has agreed to a public consultation on the
dangerous rules.

Comments close in just a few days -- *let's make sure the EU can't
ignore our views and says no to secret corporate courts!*

Submit a comment
<http://act.sumofus.org/go/4934?t=1&akid=6041.6321485.WgtYjA>

Reni,

This week, we have a huge opportunity to*stop one of the worst parts of
the risky TTIP trade deal *between Europe and the US.

The US is determined to include rules that will *allow corporations to
sue our elected governments* in secret courts, or "investor state
dispute settlement". But under pressure, the EU have committed to ask
citizens what they think.

*The deadline for submissions is in just a few days*, so we’ve not got
long to make sure the EU knows what we think about secret corporate
courts. Now, the SumOfUs community has built a tool to make submitting
your official comment easy -- it won’t take more than 3 minutes to
complete. *This could be our best chance to stop one of the worst parts
of the dangerous TTIP trade deal*.

Click here to let the EU know what you think about the secret corporate
courts proposed in TTIP.
<http://act.sumofus.org/go/4934?t=2&akid=6041.6321485.WgtYjA>

These secret courts would be created under rules called “Investor-State
Arbitration Settlement”, or ISDS. It would set up a system of tribunals
where corporations could take our governments to court if they didn’t
like a particular law that they thought harmed their business.

*We’ve seen how this system works already around the world -- it’s not
good.* Ecuador is being sued by Chevron because the country is requiring
it to clean up a huge toxic oil spill in the heart of the Ecuadorian
rainforest. Australia is being sued by Phillip Morris because it wants
to take action to curb teenage smoking. Even Germany is being sued by
Swedish energy giant because it wants to phase out nuclear power. This
is what ISDS would mean for Europe -- more corporate lawsuits against
the things we care about.

The EU’s consultation is a great first step - and it shows that pressure
to drop the deal from all over the EU is starting to work. *Now the EU
have said they’ll listen, we need to make sure they hear from us. *We
know the public is against these rules -- but the EU needs to hear that
loud and clear.

Making a comment is easy with this new tool, and it's our best chance of
stopping these secret corporate courts.

Can you take 3 minutes to tell the EU to stop the secret corporate
courts in TTIP?
<http://act.sumofus.org/go/4934?t=3&akid=6041.6321485.WgtYjA>

Thanks for all you do,
Martin, Hannah, Jon and the rest of us.

**********
More Information:

EU Commission Trade Public Consultation on Investor-State Dispute
Settlement
<http://act.sumofus.org/go/4886?t=4&akid=6041.6321485.WgtYjA>, European
Commission, Jun 2014.
Business v state investment disputes in EU spotlight
<http://act.sumofus.org/go/4887?t=5&akid=6041.6321485.WgtYjA>, BBC News,
12 June 2014.

SumOfUs is a worldwide movement of people like you, working together to
hold corporations accountable for their actions and forge a new,
sustainable path for our global economy. Please help keep SumOfUs strong
by chipping in $3
<https://action.sumofus.org/a/donate-to-sumofus-wrapper/?t=6&akid=6041.6321485.WgtYjA>.