+comunity+ SonOfTheVelvetRat: US-tour

velvet at mur.at velvet at mur.at
Do Mai 20 20:03:24 CEST 2004

Son of the velvet rat, Georg Altziebler, solo (nebenbei Sänger und Songschreiber
bei Bloom05) spielt vom 23. Mai bis 8.Juni eine zehn gigs umfassende US-tour.
Dabei wird das auf starfish-records erschienene Album "by my side" präsentiert.

Tourdates:

23. mai: Sacred Grounds Coffeehouse (San Pedro/CA)
25. mai: Solar Culture Gallery (Tucson/Arizona) - www.solarculture.org.
27. mai: Hotel Cafe (Los Angeles/CA) - www.hotelcafe.com
28. mai: Orange County
1. juni: Live @ Lunch on-air performance/interview @ KRFC Radio (Ft.Collins/CO)
2. juni: Green Room @ Showbox (Seattle/WA) - www.showboxonline.com
4. juni: Red & Black Cafe (Portland/OR) - www.redandblackcafe.com
7. juni: 10.00am - radio interview/on-air performanc @ KDVS (UC Davis/CA)
7. juni: Make-Out Room (San Francisco/CA) - www.makeoutroom.com.
8. juni: Knitting Factory (L.A./CA) - www.knittingfactory.com

Pressestimmen:

Son of the velvet rat reach back to ... the bottomless pain of Leonard Cohen and
the mordant reflection of Tindersticks … there's some dark majesty at work
here."
(suzie Q., logo magazine.com, London, April 2004)

-----

"The stuff itself falls into what I like to call alt.alt.country. That is, dark
and somewhat deconstructed roots fare. Most of the other acts I connect with
this sound (Molasses and Willard Grant Conspiracy) have a singular leader, but
are somewhat sprawling collectives. Altziebler marches alone, and that gives
his songs an even more disconnected feeling.
The sound is simple and stark. Even that electronic soundscape stuff that
rumbles in the background now and again sounds stripped down. You want cold and
brutal? Try the take on "Love Will Tear Us Apart." Damn.
There's nothing more arresting than a single note echoing against the darkness.
Altziebler seems to have figured that out, and he's written songs that
accentuate the isolation of the sound. Or maybe he found a sound that matches
his songwriting. Either way, this album kills."
(Jon Worley, aiding&abetting #252, Durham, NC, USA, 2004)

-----

"By My Side opens with “Leaving you,” a simple ballad devoid of overproduction,
cooing “and this is you without me by your side/this is the future black but
open wide.” The most endearing, beloved track of the album, “Phantom song,”
relies on chilling harmonics and beautiful guitar interplay. Intriguing lyrics
serenade “somebody smoked my paper wings, so I must fall.” “Your Sweetest
Smile” consists of a dreamy ballad that has an ocean-like hypnotic effect.
“Holes” vocalizes of trust and betrayal, “I wish your tongue would feel like
pain/and cut my tongue in two/ I would not have to speak no more, I’d leave it
up to you.” Their cover of Joy Division's “Love Will Tear Us Apart” is an
entrancing version, though stripped of the energy that many Joy Division fans
loved about the song - this rendition is different in virtually all aspects.
      The album has a defining element of simple clarity. Each track has an
appeal of natural beauty, a hauntingly, lonely, cryptic beauty. Ghostly,
mysterious tracks of love, longing, and isolation are apart of the appeal of
the alienated sound. By my side is a peaceful, endearing disc that I will
treasure for ages. I give thanks to Son of the Velvet Rat; they have left a
ghost note on my enchanted soul."
(Christine Beals, one times one, L.A., 30.April 2004)
http://onetimesone.com/sound/reviews/s/sonofthevelvetrat-by.php