[Backstage-list] FW: Call for papers

Michael Zinganel zinganel at mur.at
Fr Dez 15 14:33:42 CET 2006

------ Weitergeleitete Nachricht
Von: Friedl Harald <Harald.Friedl at fh-joanneum.at>
Datum: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:56:09 +0100
An: Michael Zinganel <zinganel at mur.at>
Cc: <backstage-list-bounces at mur.at>
Unterhaltung: Call for papers
Betreff: Call for papers

CALL FOR PAPERS: 6th INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ASPECTS OF TOURISM,
UNIVERSITY OF BRIGHTON, EASTBOURNE CAMPUS

Dear Colleagues,

I am very pleased to extend a warm invitation to join us once again for our
annual tourism conference in Eastbourne on 13-15th June 2007.

This year's conference is entitled: "Glancing, Glimpsing Gazing: tourists
and tourism in a visual world." (http://www.brighton.ac.uk/ssm/sympo2007/).

1. We are delighted that Professor Dean MacCannell has agreed to be the main
keynote speaker. (http://lda.ucdavis.edu/people/websites/maccannell.html)

2. We will be joined by Professor Erik Cohen, who will be sharing with us
his thoughts on tourism and visuality.
(http://sociology.huji.ac.il/cohen.html)

3. In addition, Dr Sarah Pink, author of "Doing Visual Ethnography" will
address the conference on visual methodologies including photography, video
and hypermedia.
(http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/ss/depstaff/staff/pink.htm)
(http://www.sagepub.com/textbooksProdDesc.nav?prodId=Book207900)

4. As if that wasn't enough... Dr Christina Silver, Research Fellow at
Computer Assisted Qualitative Data Analysis (CAQDAS) Network Project will
run a workshop demonstrating several software programs that help analyse
visual evidence (http://www.soc.surrey.ac.uk/christina_silver.htm).

5. Papers, video installations, video films, photographic material, and
posters are all welcome to be submitted on the following themes:

* Visual research methodologies as the basis for enquiries into past and
present
* Representation as narrative and counter-narrative
* Image, truth and illusion in tourism promotion
* Gendered representation in leisure and tourism
* Colonial, postcolonial, and subaltern studies related to tourism
* Historic particularity and touristic imagery
* Orientalism and the work of Edward Said as it applies to tourism and
leisure
* Photography as tourist performance
* The dialectic between data and methods and the unpredictable reaction
between them
* Implications of ubiquitous digital image making and the emerging
methodological implications

Submission deadlines:
Ø Abstracts - 15th Jan 2007 (+/- 300 words)
Ø Conference Papers - 16th April 2007 (4,000 - 6,000 words)

Given the topics and methodologies are likely to be cutting edge, we are
also prepared to take seriously 'works in progress,' speculative pieces and
works where findings are as yet inconclusive.

The participants have rated all of our previous conferences good or
excellent, but we think this one is going to be simply stunning! We urge you
to join us in what promises to be 'the' tourism conference of the 2007
calendar.

Professor Peter M Burns
Conference Convenor

Email: tourismvisuality at brighton.ac.uk

===============
Centre for Tourism Policy Studies
www.centops.org

Mit besten Grüßen,

Harald A. Friedl

MMag. Dr. Harald A. Friedl
Lecturer, Internship Coordinator and Public Relations
at the University of Applied Sciences
FH JOANNEUM Ges. mbH
Health Management in Tourism
Kaiser-Franz-Josef-Straße 418