[sat] [info at e-artnow.org: mur.sat: Art Nanosatellite]

Reni Hofmüller reni at mur.at
Fri Dec 10 12:43:19 CET 2010

hi!

damit ihr euch nicht wundert, warum da jetzt ev. mehr solche
infos/anfragen reintrudeln werden :)

ich habs über e-artnow promoted

lg
reni

----- Forwarded message from e-artnow <info at e-artnow.org> -----

From: e-artnow <info at e-artnow.org>
To: reni at mur.at
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 08:47:15 +0100 (CET)
Subject: mur.sat: Art Nanosatellite

Hello.

This is default template for plain-text mail content

e-artnow presents: mur.sat1

body, div, p, span, table, td, tr {font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;
font-size: 12px;}
table {border-spacing:2px;}
table table {border-spacing:0px;}
tr, th, td {padding: 0;}
p {font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; margin:3px 0px 10px 0px;}
p.lomargin {padding; 0; margin:1px 0px 1px 0px;}
a {color:#808080; text-decoration:none;}
a: hover {color:#808080; text-decoration:none;}
h1,h2 {color:black; margin-bottom:5px; font-size:15px;}
h2 {color:#905aff; padding:0; margin:3px 0px 5px 0px;}
.bottomLinks a {color:#905aff; font-weight:bold;}
.box h2 {color:#905aff; font-weight:bold;}

body, div, p, span, table, td, tr {font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;
font-size: 12px;}
table {border-spacing:2px;}
table table {border-spacing:0px;}
tr, th, td {padding: 0;}
p {font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; margin:3px 0px 10px 0px;}
p.lomargin {padding; 0; margin:1px 0px 1px 0px;}
a {color:#808080; text-decoration:none;}
a: hover {color:#808080; text-decoration:none;}
h1,h2 {color:black; margin-bottom:5px; font-size:15px;}
h2 {color:#905aff; padding:0; margin:3px 0px 5px 0px;}
.bottomLinks a {color:#905aff; font-weight:bold;}
.box h2 {color:#905aff; font-weight:bold;}

(Link: http://mailer.e-artnow.org/?RDCT=a4abdef28bc57da14dd7 )Create your own announcement + Opening
reminder10.12.2010

mur.sat: Art Nanosatellite

(Link: http://mailer.e-artnow.org/?RDCT=5ce0ac9c1b6b0dc79402 )
mur.sat1

esc.mur.at/aktuell2010.html (Link: http://mailer.e-artnow.org/?RDCT=5ce0ac9c1b6b0dc79402 )

mur.at

Contact
reni at mur.at (Link: reni at mur.at ) Reni Hofmueller Phone: +43316836000

Address
esc.mur.at/aktuell2010.html (Link: http://mailer.e-artnow.org/?RDCT=5ce0ac9c1b6b0dc79402
) ESC im LABOR  Jakoministrasse 16 8010 Graz Austria

Info

Opening: 03 December 2010  Worklab: 10.  - 12.12.2010  Opening hours:
Tue - Fr 2pm - 7pm, and by arrangement  open until 17 December 2010

mur.sat - the mur.at satellite  mur.sat is a cooperation between  the
Graz-based organisations mur.at, realraum and ESC im Labor. The  Team:
Christian Pointner, Bernhard Tittelbach, Alien Productions (Andrea
Sodomka, Norbert Math, Martin Breindl,) Heimo Ranzenbacher, Peter  Venus,
Reni Hofmueller, Jogi Hofmueller, Takashi Linzbichler, Eva Stern,  Henrik
Peisz.   In 2011 mur.at will launch this satellite.  Interorbital Systems
offers its TubeSat personal satellite kit for  aprox. USD 8,600 (launch
inclusive). The satellite will occupy a LEO for  a couple of weeks before
burning in the atmosphere on reentry.  On  October 4th 1957 the first
artificial satellite - sputnik 1 - reached  its orbit and flew around the
earth in 98 minutes. During his 3 months  existence, thousands of people
directed their eyes and ears towards the  sky to join this adventure.
Today, more than 50 years later, swarms of  satellites inhabit and
populate the outer spheres of the earth and  further away. No matter, if
we want to know, where we currently are  located, or where we should move
to reach our destination, if we chose  out of 700 TV- or 1200 radio
stations, or if we want to have the next  weather forecast - there are
always satellites involved. Satellites have  become a stable factor in our
daily life information system. And of  course there are more, thinking
about espionage, guided missiles and  that type of stuff.  In the timespan
of one century, the space  outside earth has been integrated smoothly and
without friction into  economic utilization processes. In order to
counterbalance economical  procedures that have been employed in the
exploration and investigation  of space, we vindicate the right to explore
and investigate for  ourselves. We claim 'the' space as 'public' space, in
which other  projections, wishes, concerns, desires, purposes and
undertakings of  different matter have authority and entitlement. With the
move out into  space, mur.sat takes the opportunity to analyse earth from
outside. With  the development of TubeSat, it has become relatively easy
and  affordable to send out our own research devive. Adding some technical
know how, we are able to define a set of tasks that mur.sat should
fulfill during his short life time. In some ways, this current situation
now is comparable with the 1980ies, beginning of 1990ies, when artists
experimented with connected computers, what is now mostly known as
world-wide-web/internet. The excitement is found in exploring new  spaces,
and getting to know and understand them. Probably one of the  main
attractions lies in the fact, that in unknown spaces one can  formulate
new hypothesis and try to find out and explore by one's own  wish and
curiosity. The strength and empowerment that lies in this  possibility, is
the subjective approach of individuals - noone can say  beforehand if a
certain question is relevant. It is also very likely  that new questions
will come up due to intense work on the matter during  the work itself.
The communication between mur.sat and earth  will be solved via 2.4GHz
radio. As the signals of mur.sat will only be  available for very short
time periods on one spot, we will need a dense  global
GroundStationNetwork of sender/reciever stations. The single  station
should catch and collect the signal snippets and transmit them  via
Internet (TCP/IP) to the mur.at space center in Graz. The thereby
originating art piece will be visible in the Graz space center and
online; of course all data will be available online and for free,
published under a fitting GNU public licence that will ensure access to
durable open public data. After a few weeks - probably 6 to 8 - the
satellite will burn up during its re-entry in the earth atmosphere.
Before  mursat is sent to its LEO (lower earth orbit), it will be shown,
in an  exhibition taking place from December 3rd to 17th 2010 at ESC im
LABOR,  Graz. Until the end of the exhibition, the satellite's
functionality  will be fixed. With an additional payload of only 200
grams, we have to  focus on a certain range of possibilites. Currently, we
are thinking  about:      * listening to the complete radio spectrum,
recording  it and streaming it back to earth     * mount a loudspeaker
outside  and send message into space     * mount a microphone and listen
to  space and stream the sound(s), the silence back         to  earth
* have a webcam take pictures and send them     * led-lights  sending
messages to earth     * led faxing     * scanning for  trash     * have a
sensor mounted that 'understands' mursat's  position in relation to earth
and         have that data sent back.   On  earth, in the space center in
Graz, and optionally on all other sorts  of locations, available data will
be received and interpreted, in sound,  light, temperature installations,
to create his sensation of NOW, of  present time, and of connectedness to
this expansion and extension that  surrounds us.  Why should only
economically potent entities like  states or companies be entitled to
develop the imagery and broadcast  (and thereby define) the ways of
perception of the outer world, and of  the representations of earth and
the universe?

How to create your own announcement with e-artnow (Link:
http://mailer.e-artnow.org/?RDCT=b470cea266bdbdee4b73 )
Unsubscribe from e-artnow (Link:
http://mailer.e-artnow.org/?RDCT=dd83fdcb436cefea5600
)