[Grml] Call for help: grmlzshrc.5

Frank Terbeck ft at grml.org
Tue Aug 4 00:07:21 CEST 2009

Hello grml users!

You are probably aware of the fact that grml ships a pretty big zsh
setup.

It is quite likely, though, that nobody - including us developers -
knows every function, keybinding or feature the setup implements.

That's why a manpage was started for it in order to create a reference
manual about the setup. A reference card for the zshrc exists already,
but that is rather brief due to... well being a reference card.

The basic skeleton for the manpage is ready. I described a few features
and began a reference section.

However.
Writing a complete reference for our setup is a big and tedious task. I
personally don't use the setup myself, which doesn't exactly help
matters either... And there are still numerous functions, aliases,
variables and options, that need to be documented.

So, to cut a long story short: Help!1!! :-)
No, seriously. If you are interested in helping writing that manual,
please contact us at:
    grml-etc-core at grml.org

...so we can coordinate the work (and possibly avoid doubled work if a
lot of people are willing to help). Every little bit would help, so
don't be shy. :)

In order to get a local version of the repository that keeps track of
the manual do this:
    % git clone git://git.grml.org/grml-etc-core.git
    % cd grml-etc-core
    % git co -b zshrc5 origin/ft/zshrc5
    % cd doc

After that you'll see a file called grmlzshrc.t2t which is the markup
source of the manpage. The markup language used is txt2tags and the
needed package is just one 'aptitude install txt2tags' away. It's a
pretty minimal language, that is quite easy to use - the existing
content will give you a very good idea of how to achieve different
things using txt2tags.

To generate roff (the man-format in a .5 file) and html versions of the
manual (to see what your changes look like) just run 'make' in the doc
subdirectory.

If you can spare a few minutes of your time to contribute, please send
us a message to the aforementioned address and we'll see how to go on
from there.

Thanks for reading all the way down here. :)

Regards, Frank - on behalf of the grml team.

PS: A pretty recent generation of the html output can be seen here:
    <http://ft.bewatermyfriend.org/tmp/grmlzshrc.html>

                                                  -- RFC 1925