[Grml] too many running services at boot up

martin yazdzik yazdzik at nyct.net
Thu Apr 13 22:18:59 CEST 2006

Dear Friends,

I admit that you probably do not consider grml the perfect noobie distro, but,
since everything works perfectly with no hassles whatsoever, you are going to
find yourselves contending with more and more of us.

The only thing I wish to change at all, but cannot quite figure out how to do
easily is get rid of all the stuff that laptop users hate on boot-up.

Yes, I know I could try manually editing the conf files, but am not sure how.

Is there a sage way, since the KDE gui does not work, to get rid of stuff like
cron, roxen, and so on that are useless and time consuming for lappy users
who reboot tonnes of times per diem?

Or can one point KsysV to the correct file?  There appear to be at least four
files in /etc which might be the ones that need be edited, but I am in over
my head.

Interestingly, install on a sata/atapi machine with a pcie ati video card was
a breeze, up and running in less than half an hour, and much, much nicer than
the thousand and one debian workarounds, or some of the genuinely eccentric
Kanotix "improvements".

Anyway, if there is a way simply to comment out the stuff I do not need, I am
happy to do that.

Very best wishes,

Martin