[CryptoParty] Data and Goliath

Stefan crypto at 2904.cc
Mo Feb 16 02:40:28 CET 2015

IT Sicherheit Experte Bruce Schneider hat mal wieder ein Buch geschrieben:

-- Zitat --

You are under surveillance right now.

Your cell phone provider tracks your location and knows who's with you.
Your online and in-store purchasing patterns are recorded, and reveal if
you're unemployed, sick, or pregnant. Your e-mails and texts expose your
intimate and casual friends. Google knows what you're thinking because it
saves your private searches. Facebook can determine your sexual orientation
without you ever mentioning it.

The powers that surveil us do more than simply store this information.
Corporations use surveillance to manipulate not only the news articles and
advertisements we each see, but also the prices we're offered. Governments
use surveillance to discriminate, censor, chill free speech, and put people
in danger worldwide. And both sides share this information with each other
or, even worse, lose it to cybercriminals in huge data breaches.

Much of this is voluntary: we cooperate with corporate surveillance because
it promises us convenience, and we submit to government surveillance
because it promises us protection. The result is a mass surveillance
society of our own making. But have we given up more than we've gained? In
Data and Goliath, security expert Bruce Schneier offers another path, one
that values both security and privacy. He shows us exactly what we can do
to reform our government surveillance programs and shake up
surveillance-based business models, while also providing tips for you to
protect your privacy every day. You'll never look at your phone, your
computer, your credit cards, or even your car in the same way again.

-- Zitat Ende --

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2015/02/new_book_data_a.html