[Admins] changes in our network/data center on September 8th 2015

Jogi Hofmüller jogi at mur.at
Mi Sep 2 15:55:53 CEST 2015

Dear all,

No, I am not suffering from Babylonian language confusion ;)  As of
today we have a new member on this list:  Nicolas Maigret, who hosts
part of one of his projects [1] here at mur.at.  Nicolas does not speak
German so we just continue in English.

<german break>
Wenn jemand damit ein Problem hat, dann bitte sofort sagen.  Wir werden
uns dann in Zukunft eben um Zweisprachigkeit bemühen.
</german break>

Next tuesday, September 8th 2015 from 9:00am to noon we will reconfigure
our network to achieve a certain degree of redundancy.  This also means
that we will get rid of some obsolete network settings that might still
be part of one of your machines configurations.  We urge all of you to
check your network settings and make sure they correspond with the ones
posted here.

New network configuration settings:

IPv4
----
network:  89.106.208.0/25
gateway:  89.106.208.1
DNS:      89.106.208.7 89.106.208.12

IPv6
----
network:  2a02:3e0::/64
gateway:  2a02:3e0:1
DNS:      2a02:3e0:7 2a02:3e0:12

If you have a machine that has more than one NICs we offer to also hook
you up redundantly.  In order for this to work you need to install a
package called 'ifenslave' (Debian:  apt-get install ifenslave).  We can
also provide you with a sample config that we tested for the new setup.

If your machine has only one network interface or you use a virtual
machine there is nothing you have to do.  Please bear in mind that
nevertheless your machine will be unavailable for a while during the
reconfiguration process.

If you use a virtual machine here we would greatly appreciate it if you
shut it down at 9:00 am next Tuesday.  If you do not do that we cannot
guarantee a clean shutdown!  The shutdown is necessary because the host
system will be rebooted!

We are quite positive that we will finish the reconfiguration quickly.
The three hour window we reserve is just a precaution.

[1]  http://thepiratecinema.com/

Kind regards,
--
j.hofmüller

We are all idiots with deadlines.                       - Mike West